Saturday 18 February 2012

A Visit to the Province

So another update is in order!

I have settled into my new host family and have found my role as proh poh quite enjoyable.  Growing up as the oldest in my family I always had to be the mature one.  I am now the youngest sibling in my host family and am enjoying some of the riches of being the spoiled one.  Not that my little sister has ever been spoiled ;).  I have been treated to great food, as well as some interesting food (last weekend I ate some pig stomach as well as some crickets).  We have also played numerous games of dutch blitz and sequence and for the most part I have been on the wrong end of those games, but it has been great fun so far!

Let me look back to last weekend.  I joined some my host family as they traveled to the province for a wedding.  This was my second wedding, so I had an idea what to expect but this time I did not have the safety net of my fellow MCCers.  We arrived in Kompong Thom Friday evening and made the rounds greeting all the family members.  Then it was off to bed because we were going to have to get up mighty early the next day.  Turned out to be 5:30 in the morning early!  This was to attend the first part of the traditional wedding ceremony, the fruit walk.  The grooms family walks from the grooms house to the brides house with platefuls of fruit.  The distance between the two homes was a little far for this, so we just walked a little ways down from the brides house and then walked back.  Somehow I found myself at the front of the procession.

The one Barang among many Khmer.  The guy to my left kept asking me if I wanted a Khmer wife.

After the procession we ate, watched another ceremony called the hair cutting ceremony.  Do not worry the brides lovely locks were not harmed during the ceremony.  They only pretend to cut their hair.  Then it was time to have our noon time nap.  With a two hour nap in me I was ready to get back at it, and by at it I mean the food.  One of the real treasures of Khmer weddings is the food.  Now I know you read earlier that I ate pig stomach and crickets and are probably thinking that doesn't sound much like fine dinning.  That assumption would be correct.  However, those items were not on the menu for the wedding dinner.  Instead we were treated to barbecued beef, fried octopus (slowly becoming a favourite), a big old fish, and I completely forget what we had for dessert but I can assure you it was not cake.

The fish that we ate

Once again we head back to freshen up and then head back to the party for another meal and some dancing. By the time we got back to the party unfortunately all the food was gone so that left one thing, dancing.  I have had a few different occasions to practice my Khmer dancing and though I am getting much better it is still far from being any kind of spectacle that anyone would want to watch.  Unless, that is, you are into car wrecks.  Nonetheless I always have fun out on the dance floor and it was no exception on this particular night.  There were some interesting events out on the dance floor but if you are really interested you will have to ask me about those events.  That concluded the wedding and what a great wedding it was.

Sunday morning we went to the local church where I shared a bit of my testimony and why I was in Cambodia.  After church and lunch we started our journey back to Phnom Penh.  We were stuffed into a 15 passenger van, that by the time we hit Phnom Penh had 28 people in it!  Of all my experiences in Cambodia it has probably been the least pleasant.  Thankfully I had a window seat and could stick my head out and get some fresh air.  We arrived safe and sound thus ending another one of my great adventures in this lovely little country!

2 comments:

  1. This is a hilarious recounting of your wedding experience. I love that it starts with you leading the fruit train & ends with 28 people in a 15-passenger van. Go, Alex, you are truly immersed in the culture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great weekend, except for that ride home!

    ReplyDelete