Thursday 11 August 2011

The Excitement Grows!

It's less than 24 hours until the adventure begins.  For the last 10 days I have felt nothing but excitement, but the butterflies have arrived.  I knew they would come but I'll embrace them and I know God is there with me which will quell some of my fear.

I must say at first the thing that scared me the most was the language barrier.  Not being able to communicate to those around me in a new setting is a terrifying thing.  Without communication life becomes hard and a person can become quite lonely.  I have learned some things in the past couple weeks that have lessened this fear though.  My host father speaks fairly good English which will help me as I get acquainted with Khmer language.  My host brother goes to the Royal University where I will be teaching.  I will be able to commute with him to school, which will be nice because I hear the roads are very chaotic down there (kinda run by a set of unwritten rules).  And I know that I will not be thrust right into teaching when I get there (at least I think so).  There will be a month where the other SALTers and I can get acclimatized to the country and start learning the language.  For those of you who do not know what SALT is here is a quick rundown.

- SALT stands for Serving and Learning Together
- It is an exchange program operated by MCC
- MCC stands for Mennonite Central Committee
- For more information about MCC you can visit http://www.mcc.org/

It might come as a shock to some of you but they asked me to come and teach English over there.  I am pumped to see if this teaching thing is for me.  At the same time nervous because it is new and something I really haven't done before and I am not sure if I will like it or not.  Either way the experience will give me a good idea on weather or not it is something I want to pursue when I get back.  If I come back...

Just kidding mom.

Oh and before I forget I need to get that playlist started, eh Allison :)!

I heard this song the other day coming from one of the many gatherings I've been at in the last week.  I got to see these guys live last year in Olds and it was one of the best concerts I've been to (of the 3 or 4 that I've been to).  Trooper opened the concert and closed the concert with "We're here for a good time (Not a long time)".  As I spend my last evening here in Canada with family and friends I can't help but think this is a great song to listen to for the situation (Plus I'm getting goosebumps listening to it right now!)

So for just about all of you I will see you in a year or so, but I look forward to hearing from you along the journey.


3 comments:

  1. Your going to have a great time!! Sad to see you go but excited for all the stories and great adventures your going to have!! Going to miss you TONES!!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done!! It will be a phenomenal year!! We have our fingers crossed that an Aisan tour will be in our Jan - March time period. Will stay in touch if that is the case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well we dropped you off and by now you should be half way to Toronto. Have an awesome day, meeting new friends!

    ReplyDelete